Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Ol' College Try

Last night YHWH and I attended a work function of hers. It's one of the few large-scale gatherings of it's kind I have ever been able to suffer through. I've been going for about a decade now and even though I still don't feel a part of the group (mainly because I'm not), last night was the first time I realized it may be the closest thing I have to an extended family.

From my vantage at Table 7, I panned around and saw people I have known for 20 years now in various capacities. There was Mr. and Mrs. Tex at the power table (No. 5). At this table was a couple I'd traveled thousands of miles across the country with. At that table was a woman I'd gone to school with who is now a professor. Over there was one of my major profs who inexplicably will not speak to me (he's Canadian, tho) and next to him was the guy who taught Queen and me (maybe Gouldie, too) creative writing who also won't speak to me. My ex-wife's sister was there. A Jeopardy!-style game on stage featured Mr. Tex, Tex's friend, and a woman I had a date with once as contestants. And when I extended it out, I realized that pretty much everyone I associate with for better or worse can be traced back to someone in that room. I don't know what all that means. Maybe it'll turn in to another post sometime in future. All I can say for now is, "Choose your college wisely, kids!"

Just finished some legwarmers for SGK:














Have to get on that cable knit hat now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whaddya say that we make a pact to stay in the bar next year? I'm still depressed.

Adjective Queen said...

Why won't they speak to you? That's odd. I find the best way to test those you think won't speak to you is to rush over and hug them and ask them an odd topic question, like "So, what do you really think of Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes' baby? Photoshopped, right?"

pastgrace said...

Wow! SGK knees are so clean looking. Storyteller's legs look perpetually dirty but it's just all the bruises that happen to her. I'm really impressed!