Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Strike A Pose, There's Nothing To It

OK, OK, I won an award at work.

The thing is, I don't remember any of it. I remember dressing up and going to the banquet facility. I remember I had my lovely daughters with me. It was appropriately Oscar-night themed as I remember because we walked in on a red carpet and there were people greeting us and handing me things and then I stopped for my photo op and then my publicist swept in and ushered us over to our table.

I remember the director was reading off some introductory remarks about the winner and then everyone around me started prodding me and saying, "It's you. It's you, man." And I think I heard someone say, "Get up there, man." So, when my name was announced I zoned out and just focused on getting up to the front without tripping or anything. I picked up my oversized check and crossed the stage and while there I heard the director say, "Let me tell you a little about St. Fiacre." That's all I heard, so discomfitted was I. No chance of a big head here - I didn't even find out what I'd done to win it!

Super Giant Killer was mightily impressed with the gigantic check. On Sunday morning Molly, Nellie, and Kit reenacted the cermony and the winner made several large purchases befitting such a large check. Later that day, she observed that southern Europe and southern Asia have similar shapes and so she drew a map of Italy and neighbors and compared it to another she drew of the similarly dangling Malay Peninsula. Not exact of course, but I do see what she picked up on. These were drawn on the back of my check.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! I'm glad they finally got around to it. I'm proud.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I went and read some of your articles. I especially enjoyed the one about the Chinese underground city. If you didn't know I have a daughter of China. I plan on bookmarking that article in hopes that when she is old enough to read it, it will still be there.

pastgrace

Adjective Queen said...

You won because, in the words of your nominator, "You are the most knowledgeable librarian I've ever known" -- and for your contributions to a certain project. You rock, dude!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! You deserve the award for many reasons.