Sunday, January 28, 2007

It Wasn't My Baby

Well, if I, the father, was not slain last week in The Great Sledding Episode, then this afternoon I was laid in the grave. I attended a baby shower. I don't do baby showers. And wedding ones are even more huh-uh. Ask Purple Bunny. She loves to recount how I didn't even attend the shower people at work hosted for Killer's birth. I may be edjumacated, but I still retain a few selected redneck qualities and an objection to men and women showering together is one them.

I was not planning on going to this thing. The shower was for my nephew and the female carrying an embryo to which he has contributed DNA. He's the second of my nephews to forego such inconveniences as wedding vows or any other public committments to care for his family, but that's irrelevant here. It was in Tulsa and the girls were going to be gone all day. Even though I desperately need some time alone to recharge, I felt guilty for not spending the day with them, so I decided I would go with them and drop them off then go kill a couple of hours. I should have applied the sage advice of SAT coaches and stuck with my first answer. C. F. Kats opted out of family life anyway because the dirge of daily life has become just too much. So we other three journeyed down the turnpike with only the promise of Quik Trip's gleaming cornucopia of mixed drinks to pull me onward.

Upon arrival, my nephew came rushing out to great us. I couldn't even begin to relate to you how much I love this nephew and what a wonderful guy he is (despite that other stuff). Suffice to say, he is as good a nephew as you could get -- he was born on my birthday. And his daughter may pull off the trifecta since she is due to arrive very near our birthday. He is as near a human clone of me as the current administration would allow, so it would be really cool to see how close a girl would end up being like us. Anyway, he and his dad were both there and gave every indication of staying. I was in a tough spot. If I called them sissies for attending a baby shower, they would have beaten me to a pulp. Finally I asked him if he was staying. "Yeah," he said. "I want to be here." Damn. What has this world come to.

So not only did I stay, I played a shower game. I won the shower game. It was a game where you try and match kinds of candy to the peculiarities surrounding the birth process. My prize was a bag full of about 20 kinds of candy. Somehow Raisinets and Milky Ways are less appetizing now. Before long I was talking about how much better Avent bottles are. I extolled the virtues of the ever-versatile receiving blanket; listing its many uses as every thing from burping rag to vomit cleanup. Cradle cap. Booger removal via squeezy rubber thing. I ruminated on how the cuter the little outfits are, the less time they will be able to wear them. Not having been to one of these before I kept a wary eye on my escape route because I was pretty certain that women tell war stories involving epidurals, blood, guts and all that rite of passage stuff. Luckily that didn't come up. And I thanked every deity I could imagine that I wasn't at one of those showers in England they have after the baby arrives and snack on the placenta.

But who knows, instead of slaying the father, maybe it's a new paradigm. Maybe Killer will reject a suitor who refuses to go to a friend's shower, thinking if it was good enough for her dad, why isn't good enough for him. Nahhh...not likely.

Think I'll go have a Skor candy bar now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha. Having just attended two showers for my daughter (who also passed on the getting married first part) I can empathize with the shower game stuff. But since the baby is living in my house it's nice to have all that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Surely there were photos taken at this event? There always are goofy photos taken. Are you brave enough to post one of you in attendance? - I had been unaware of the new trends in shower games until recently I attended one at which a game featuring candy bars and Huggies was featured. How utterly disgusting.

Quik Trips? We Maryland Crabs are not familiar with it. Please enlighten.

Adjective Queen said...

You playing a shower game? I would have paid money to see that.

pastgrace said...

I would so have enjoyed seeing at a baby shower! Don't knock receiving blankets. In the last ice storm I used one to keep the freezing rain from freezing on my windshield. They are truly handy things. Yes I still keep one in my car for emergencies. I've used it as a skirt for the kids when one of them had some sort of accident.

Anonymous said...

I, too, take a pass when it comes to ritualized rites of passage, although my big bugaboo is graduation ceremonies. I can't get too excited when someone musters the energy and smarts to make it through high school, given the number of kids who do without even being able to read. College is just glorified trade school, and if you make the last mile through grad school you should be past caring. Attending a shower is unthinkable. Being asked to attend one could only happen beyond the event horizon. Encouraging a reputation for grouchiness has its uses.