Monday, September 03, 2007

Woolly Rock

We rarely travel on the Monday Holidays because I so crave the free short week that I prefer to plop on the ol' La-Z-Boy and watch whatever marathons the genre-specific networks are offering (today it was Beach Patrol on Court TV). I specify the niche networks (ie Sci-Fi, Court TV, etc) because there is that other marathon to contend with on Labor Day. But this holiday, owing to some family rough spots, we decided to get away for a little bit. Our newly arrived art museum newsletter prompted YHWH to suggest the Price Tower in Bartlesville and so it was decided.

On the trip up to B'ville we had stopped in Owasso and had lunch with my sister and her family. Despite our tenuous estrangement, we had a great time together over Greek food and made promises to do it more often. Then on to B'ville. The girls had never been and were delightfully surprised to find hi-rise buildings in our state outside of Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Of course it has the hi-rise, the only one ever built by Frank Lloyd Wright, the Price Tower. We did pay the five-star guidebook rates to stay in the tower, but as Super Giant Killer said, "It's not every night you get to spend the night in a museum." It was pretty cool I have to admit. Of course, I do have to admit it, otherwise I'd be a damn fool to spend that much money to stay the night somewhere.

So, we went to Kiddie Park and SGK rode some vintage 1960s amusement rides and then we took Sonic up to the room for the genuine Okie experience. The trip home the next day began with a tour of the art museum on the first floor, lunch at the famous Murphy's Steak House and an excursion out to Woolaroc. Ehh... Finally we wended our way through Osage County and the Tall Grass Prairie and on home. I just adore the TGP. It's my second-favorite place in the state next to my ancestral grounds in Dewey County (although they are quite similar).

4 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I've always wanted to go to the tall grass prairie. It seems like it would be so peaceful.

I'd have to leave the boys with you, though.

Glad you had a good time!

DGB said...

I guess my clan's next trip out of the neighborhood, assuming there is one, will be to that new place down the pike that sells hundreds of different brands/flavors of sodas. But, like AQ, I'm glad you had a nice day of it.

maddador said...

Oh, I already feel myself adopting Senecal tendencies.

And metaphorically is just as putrid an adverb as ostensibly. Or "in a metaphorical sense" is a phrase. Haha.

I still have to expand on that post, though.

maddador said...

In addition,
you are exalted and you are exalted on high with Lego Guy and Sport's cheeses and sausage and cheeses and sausage on rye for putting such pocket towards a stay at the opulent Price Tower.

We still have to open our travelblogue.