Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Moon is Blue

I actually picked up the needles again after a four month hiatus. I'm making Super Giant Killer a pair of legwarmers. They'll be pastel purple and blue stripes. I'd post a pic of the early-eighties-aerobics-craze pattern (oversize sweater and wide belt optional) but I'm way too lazy for that.

Speaking of Jane Fonda, she was featured on TCM's Summer of the Stars (also too lazy to look and see if that's the actual title of the series) the other night. That's where they play almost a whole day of a particualr star's films. First of all, I find that idea to be exceedingly annoying. Once in a while it's ok -- say when a star has just died or something -- but come on, 18 hours of Broderick Crawford? Ok, so ambivalence reigned the other night when it was Jane Fonda's turn. She has always annoyed me. Much like Nicole Kidman does today. And no, it has nothing to do with Vietnam. One thing is that both actresses' mouths bother me (and not in the Gable-Lombard sense). But with Jane I'm pretty sure it's the bleating. The point is, though, that I DVR'ed most of them because I love a lot of her characters in the pre-Barbarella. Haven't sorted that part out yet. Here are the possibilities: a) I've always been fascinated by what was going on in the world during the time that I was alive, but can't remember anything -- the unquenchable thirst of the historian; 2) similarly, I'm fascinated by the roles of women in that period between the late 50s and the women's and free love movements and try and figure out how my mom and aunts fit into those roles; and d) when I was a kid and I watched Jane Fonda movies, I always thought that (since she often played whores and kept women) it must have been weird doing those things with her father's friends. By the way, where are all the kept women these days? Anybody know why there are no kept-women movies anymore? Maybe there are and I don't see them (Flatulus?). Those are some of my faves from the era: Butterfield 8, The Apartment, Boeing Boeing, Any Wednesday. Maybe there aren't anymore kept women?

Still with me? C. F. Kats let me cruise around with her last night after Chinese food and thrifting. That was nice of her and I had a great time.

Today we are going to attempt to make some Cute Dolls from the new Aronzi Aranzo books. Here's a sample:












Personally, I like the Bad Book.

Do you not love the early evenings lately? I would love to have a decibel meter to determine just how loud those cicadas are. YHWH and I got out the car the other night and realized we had to yell at each other five feet apart to be heard.

3 comments:

Tex said...

I can hardly wait to see some of the Cute Dolls.

I have no input re: women's roles in that time period. I just remember being told things like "women shouldn't take jobs from men" from a grandmother who ran a country store and a post office. And the "woman's place was in the home" by a mother who chafed mightily against that place and found ways to be very unsubmissive. :-)

And you should read Monica McGoldrick's take on the Fonda family in her genogram book (too lazy to look up the real title--it's contagious). Pretty revealing.

Anonymous said...

I mowed my backyard last night. I have a willow tree back there. While I ran the mower around the tree there was a cicada in it. It kept scolding me for interupting it's evening. Yes, it's amazing that one can hear those things over the roar of a lawn mower engine. pastgrace

maddador said...

I let you?

Oh. I get it. You've taken on the Chinese grandmother persona.
"It have no flavah.. it have no flavah.."

No. Thank you. I saw every corner of post-10PM cruisable City of Oklahoma City, I think.