Friday, May 12, 2006

...The Way The Floor Fell Out Of My Car When I Put The Clutch Down

Today was a pretty good one overall. To start with I didn't have to make my morning tour of the outer loop. Yes, I begin each morning by spending the first hour and a half in the car. It's doubtless some sort of a karmic sting for some past sin - I move from outer suburbia to just inches outside the inner loop to help save the environment, ease America's addiction to oil and instill a sense of community in my kids; but before I can see the fruits of such a labor, I must spend four months driving The Self back up to her school which used to be so close she walked every day. But there are only two more weeks of school left and YHWH is going to do the last two, so I'm free! Took me seven minutes to get to work today - sweet. Soon I may range into the black on the karma ledger as The Grandmother of Europe and I have undergone preliminary discussions on carpooling. I'm kind of skittish, though, because even though I adore my Wagon Queen Family Truckster, she is getting up in years and the seats squeak a little and on the warmest days the AC does need a little coaxing.

Also I just finished a big thingy I have been working on at work and it was nice to put it to bed yesterday. And today I began to think about an oral history project I'll be co-working on soon (but I'm part of the Do-Nothing Caste, so it's not much). So I was in that sort of mulling mode most of the day, thinking about oral history, when I see three books on writing and telling your family history stacked at the reference desk with a post-it note stating that they belong to one of our regulars. We commonly check books out to people who have difficulty returning things and keep them behind the desk for them to use when they make their visits. Anyway, this stack belonged to a regular visitor who has told us on more than one occasion that he is a vampire. Grizzled and unkempt, he's the friendliest guy you'd ever want to meet. He looks and sounds like a Marlboro Man put out to pasture and I get the impression he fancies himself a ladies man owing to the amount of time he spends at the circ desk and the special rapport he has with my co-worker, The Grandmother of Europe. When he comes in he will tell you he's nice now, but you wouldn't want to see him at night when he's a "vam-par". So I realize since he's reading these books on life stories, I have to get him to do an oral history. His voice has to be recorded for all time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

We went over to our friends The Shades of Gray for dinner to-nite. We had to bring SGK along because The Self was to watch her for us, but she, being The Self, made other plans. Killer was a pretty good kid, though. I guess the Shades would have to have the final word, but considering how she can be quite an attention-seeking pest in a group of adults, I think she did really well. She sat on the couch and read the Guinness Book of World Records for 30 minutes; not bad. We had a really great time and had some excellent chow. Mrs. Shades raises the bar on homecooked meals, I must say. Mr. Shades requested I review some of the items I've seen and read along the sidebar and I may just do that - at least for the ones I feel most strongly about.

YHWH has spoken. The next knitting project will be the Booga Bag. Hers will be in black and gray striations, not the colors in the link above.

No comments: