Thursday, May 18, 2006

Wedding Cake For No Reason

After dinner, YHWH and I began what I hope will be our new walking regimen. From last June thru November I walked like a house afire, but then all the stresses and just plain hassles of moving threw me out of my riddim and I became a recidivist. So I'm trying to get back into it. Unfortunately exercise is the only way for me to control my weight. And like millions of others I hate every second of it. So anyway, The Killer went with us for a walk (she rode her bike) around the neighborhood. After a while YHWH stopped to talk to a gardner and Killer and I pressed ahead and she talked nonstop the whole time. One of the things she brought up was that she wanted to have a family fun night tonight. I told her it was already too late, but asked what kinds of things she wanted to do for next time. Play Twister (yes my life flashed before my eyes at the thought of me doing anything requiring flexibility). Dress up (since there are no tiaras and gowns for me to dress up in, being the only male, I get to just paint my nails). Play Trivial Pursuit. Get a wedding cake for no reason. We could all pretend we are geologists and look for really cool rocks. God love her, she is just the biggest nerd and I love every bit of it. And the little snot rode her bike three miles!

Today was another real doozie at the Do-Nothing Desk. I spent the first hour simultaneously trying to track down a TV/VCR for a meeting and taking calls from one of our regulars, The Sigher. This guy is the guy they used on those 16mm films they showed in high schools in the 1950s to illustrate someone who had absolutely no interpersonal skills. He may also have been the model for Goofus in Highlights Magazine. I had to keep giving him the number he wanted and he would lose it or write it down wrong or something and keep calling back. It was redeeming, though. He told me, "You know when I call 411, they don't tell you any of this stuff. And if they can't find it, they just tell you they can't find it." I kept waiting for him to say thank you or librarians are great or something, but no dice. I just accepted his realization of it as an affirmation. Later I had to help a guy who wanted to know whether they irrigate in the Australian desert. Talk about starting from zero, I had no idea. I did learn one interesting thing - that desert isn't very hot - the max temp doesn't get much over 95 or so. Shoot, that's a beautiful Spring day in Oklahoma. Anyway, it was nonstop all day long like that.

Well, I jinxed the Tribe. They are already 7.5 games back. And since the White Sox have someone to play with in Detroit, they will likely continue to chug along like the annoying locomotive they are. Dem Bums are making me proud, though. They have suffered injuries to most of their best hitters - Repko, Kent, and Mueller - and are hanging in at only 2 games back. Their problem has been the dang bullpen which has blown 8 saves so far - even if they just had four of those back, they would be two games up in the division. Once we get Gagne and the others back from injury, I believe we will roll to victory. But just the division.

No comments: