Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Queen's Gusset

I should clarify one thing about my reference (no pun) to the Do-Nothing Desk in several previous posts. That's not a jaded view of my own work, but rather sarcasm based on the oft-stated opinion of people below (and some above) my pay grade. I guess manual labor and workspaces that produce lines of people waiting for service are the only work that gets 'noticed'. It's kind of like being middle class in America. I'm really not that jaded about it, and the desk is only half of my job anyway! Don't let that discourage you Gouldie or Shank.

I watched a really good movie last night. Saints and Soldiers. I was intrigued because I had never seen a Mormon war movie (that I know of) and I knew that the Mormon film industry, while still Indie and low-budget, has been making some pretty good movies that our wide age-range family can watch together without it being too much or too little for any one person. It was well-made for it's budget and I would say it's about like a post-war movie of the 40s or 50s with no cursing and action is not the centerpiece, but rather the interaction of the characters. The very interesting thing is that the Mormon character never identifies himself as such and never proselytizes, but leads by example. The great thing was that it shows some universal traits of a religious life no matter what the religion, ie things we should all live by. In fact, a couple of lines received a thumbs up by our resident arbiter of theology. "You know he's Mormon, don't you?" I had to reveal. Definitely a chick war movie as well, so give it a try.

I'm enjoying the World Cup so far. I've only gotten to see one half of one game so far, but I've been watching them statistically on the web. I predicted England would choke despite their easy group and I almost proved out - their 1-0 win came as a result of a Parguayan scoring an own-goal. As I told Overcoat, England hasn't been that lucky since Dunkirk. My pick of Poland as one of my darkhorses is looking bleak right now, though...

Gotta go knit the Queen's gusset...

4 comments:

St. Fiacre said...

Ummm...I'm not saying. But I did tell my old boss that part of the job is selling the answer...

Anonymous said...

I just wanna know if the socks got to go on vacation.

Anonymous said...

I just wanna know if the socks got to go on vacation.

Adjective Queen said...

Tex, the socks were waiting to greet me when I got back from vacation. They are tiny works of art!