Sunday, October 15, 2006

They Make No Mention of the Beauty of Decay

The wedding continues to dominate our lives for better or worse. We were scheduled to have an all day shopping junket on Sairdy. YHWH, Killer and C. F. Kats are all required to have small, black, formal clutches; I needed a jacket in which I can stroll around the hotel; everyone needed all-weather formal coats; I needed two dress shirts; and it was suggested I get a sweater and some 'nice' long-sleeved shirts.

So, like I said, it was supposed to be an all day affair. But on Sairdy morning, YHWH tells me to just get Killer out of the house all day - she wanted to clean the house. That's bad. That is an ominous sign. Cleaning has psychological implications. Where I have resigned myself to my fate and am now given to mocking the whole thing, she has obviously not gotten to that point.

So, I took Killer to the Zoo. We were there 4.5 hours. I have never been to the Zoo that long in one session in my life. It was great weather and Killer brought a blank journal and declared herself a naturalist. We had to stop and draw loads of plants, flowers, and animals. We read and discussed every plaque. Here's a page from the journal including some of our team work:



After that we decided to hit the northside thrift stores. I thought it would be a nice touch to wear thirft store merch to our snooty events. We didn't have too much success, but we had a lot of fun. We did find one small velvet clutch for 98 cents, though. Finally, we went to Big Lots to get some decent Halloween dex. YHWH tends to decorate with Fall things, but frankly SGK and I never found a cornucopia to be particularly terrifying. I find the glow-in-the-dark velvet skeleton hanging on the doorways of my youth (pre-cult, of course) to be the standard. So Killer picked out some stuff and here are a couple of examples of the result:


The strung-up skeleton has been dubbed Carl by Killer. He actually is very scary out there, especially when a slight breeze makes him sway a little bit.

No word when we'll actually get around to buying all that stuff...

We've also started our Halloween season movie-watching. C. F. Kats prefers the psychological thrillers to slashers, so we have selected accoridngly. We got our film critic friend with the exhaustive DVD library to hook us up with some good ones:

Experiment in Terror
Tale of Two Sisters
Cape Fear (original)
Black Sunday

Planet of the Vampires

Peeping Tom
Carnival of Souls
M

Cat People

Lady in White

Diabolique
(original French one)

Cape Fear is still so creepy, among the few that consistently get to me. Talking about the Mitchum-Peck version, of course. One of the key components of it's success of course is in what it doesn't say or depict. They use semantics to lead you to a certain point and then allow you to define (ala 1984) what your own brand of hell might be.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Aren't you leaving in mere days for this thing? And the shopping still isn't done? I'd be cleaning my house, too! And taking handfuls of valium.