Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Wednesday, Bloody Wednesday

Well, here I sit with a needle in my arm. No, I haven't finally succumbed to heroin to numb the pain of my daily life. I'm donating platelets. They have a new chair which has a computer attached to it and so I'm checking it out. Ought to be interesting -- I can only use one hand and it has a band aid on the end of the index finger; the keyboard is on an overhead springy thing and it's bouncing all over the place when I type; I'm lightheaded; and I'm supposed to be squeezing this thingy to help pump the blood, but the typing-squeezing is causing disorientation akin to rubbing your stomach and top of your head at the same time. But the new nurse is cute and one of the other donors is likewise easy on the eyes, so I'm getting by. The Dodgers are on the ropes, though, and it sucks not being able to pace the floor.

I've started mentally working on a new list. I say mentally because I can't think of anything to write down yet. This one seeks to come up with a theme song for every year of my life that I can remember. It's proving to be nearly impossible. To clarify, I'm trying to find songs for each year that best express my feelings for that year, not my favorite song from that year. I'm avoiding obvious or overt selections. For example 1981 was the best year on record for me, but I'm not selecting Sinatra's "It Was A Very Good Year". It's too literal. In fact I would like it best if it was a sort of emotional imprint, so that just hearing it one could feel how I felt then. I know that's not possible, though. If for no other reason, I might play 1981's song and because you hate that song you may react like it was 1994. I'm also thinking I might have to review the list every five years or so because I might change my feelings - not mention I'm still racking up the years. So far, I'm about to declare "Suburbiac" by Dolour as the theme song for 1996. And New Order's "Sunrise" for 1985. Try it - it ain't easy.

The front half of SGK's sweater is done. I was worried about getting it done before winter, but it doesn't seem like winter will be here any time soon.

I'm getting tired of this pecking.... ta ta from blood central!

2 comments:

Adjective Queen said...

I'm impressed. All those impediments and not a single typo. I think people who regularly give blood are the heroes. (Also, people who watch one's children while one goes away for the weekend are heroes.) Way to go, Saint!

Anonymous said...

Likewise, I'm impressed not only by your ability to multitask, but by the fact that you are willing to suffer for others. You can't be all bad.

I love your idea of theme songs for every year of life, although you lost me a little there at the end, probably due to the generation gap. I have a very touching video of my growing up, which was put together from 16mm film my dad used throughout the 50s and 60s. My sister had it made into the video, but used the most hideous muzak-type background music. I would love to remake it with some decent theme music. Any inspirations you might offer will be appreciated. Be kind.