Friday, February 16, 2007

Does He Like Butter Tarts?

This morning as I watched the 6:00AM rebroadcast of the local news I saw the report on The Great Peanut Butter Scare of 2007. "Naw," I thought. "Couldn't happen to me." I'm one of the great multitudes of people that nothing like that ever happens to (not that I'm complaining). I remember growing up that ever so often mom and dad would take a toy away and tell me that somebody said it was dangerous. Sure enough, some kid in East Whangdoodle, New Jersey had swallowed a piece of Blammo's Live-Fire Gatling Gun for Kids. Or some three year old in a southside tenement in Chicago was eating the paint off the walls and anything with lead paint (which was everything) got pulled. I'm not complaining about consumer safety, it's just even at age 7 I wondered, "who was that kid who ruined it for everyone?" I never swallowed bullets, I never ate lead paint, I never shot a star trek phaser in anyone's eye.

It's a little different, but I also always wondered: who was it that ate the red dye #whatever? Who ate those Jack-in-the-Box burgers in Seattle? Who ate the spinach? I'm not making light of their troubles, it's just I've never encountered many public health hazards. So, when I saw the report I blew it off.

Then YHWH comes in after watching it in the other room. "Hey, guess what Killer at for lunch yesterday?"

"Uhhh...The same thing I ate for my snack every day this week?"

"Yep, say hello to Sal Minella."



It's kind of pretty as killers go.

There's no punchline here, sorry. No one was rushed to the hospital. But I've been giddy all day because I purchased my first contaminated foodstuff (that I know of). I've now been involved in a recall. Even our Pinto's gas tank was not one of the exploding kind. But last Sunday I bought two - two - jars of Peter Pan Creamy Whipped Peanut Butter with number "2111" on the lid.

I authorize Adjective Queen to turn Empty Room a web memorial.

*ps I know how to spell salmonella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes who was the first person to eat any odd thing. Who looked at the inside lining of a cow's stomach and thought, "Wow, I wonder what tastes like?" And tripe was born. Who thought it would be fun to grind up dry leaves, set them on fire and then inhale the smoke? Why would anyone think that dead snails are appetizing? I'd have to stare long and hard at that weird black monolith in the back yard before I'd eat any kind of crispy insect.

Adjective Queen said...

And, in the same vein, Who was the first to lick a toad?

Hope Killer has recovered. We ended up throwing our peanut butter out because it was so old, it had turned crunchy!

pastgrace said...

Well, yesterday, we had a family party for DQ's birthday. As we were sitting down to eat lunch I heard a histerical sister repeating over and over, "Is that Peter Pan!" I'm frantically looking around for the boy child fairy wondering whether I missed something in adulthood because I could have sworn that Peter Pan was from someone else's imaginnation. Finally when I couldn't spy any green clothed figure in the room I asked what in the world she was making a fuss about. It turns out that Storyteller had fixed herself a sandwich of salmonella and had taken two bites. Of course we go through the stuff like nobody's business and a quarter of the jar is gone already. I missed telling you that I too am a victim of the mark of the beast "2111". I also bought two jars of the tainted staple of my child and my own diet.

Anonymous said...

We have a completely empty jar of my spouse's favorite crunch pb with the 2111 code. Talk about an iron stomach!