Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Love Is Like...Oxygen

So, Valentine's Day. Never was much for those Hallmark Holidays. It was pretty much ruined for me forever back in 1980. I had two girls on the hook and life was easy. They fought with each other and I just sat back and soaked up all the attention and all the loot. But Valentine's Day 1980 I gave the girl I really loved a nice present (a shiny necklace from Service Merchandise) and the other one the standard Russell Stover red heart-shaped box. Bad mistake. I should've known the one would flaunt in front of the other. A red heart-shaped box of Russell Stover chocolate doesn't really look like it would hurt when it's thrown in your face, but it was cold that night and it did kind of sting.

I got each of my Vals the standard gift this year -- candy and a card -- and a small extra thing. Super Giant Killer got a Polly Pocket-Hot Wheel cross-branding toy (somehow I don't think Mattel cross-brands the Pollys with the toys on the boy side of the aisle).

And C. F. Kats got a little sumpin' I knitted up to hold her tiny mp3 player. It's the first thing I've ever made up, so I'm kind of partial to it. Here it is:



Check out these insane Valentines SGK got.



See, I've said for years this religion stuff is just a cruel joke and now the folks at Dayspring have actually come out and admitted it.

I think this is Vengeful Barbie. You may have to click on it to get the subtle loathsome look.



And how about the sentiment - 'you're such a fashionable friend'? I'll hang out with you, but I won't be there for you when you need me.

Finally, another from those zany folks at Dayspring...



What kid doesn't love 1920s slang on their valentine?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Barbie looks like Paris Hilton. If I had a daughter, I'd rather her Barbie looked like Lizzie Borden than Hilton. I had a nice Valentine's dialogue exchange with my almost-20-year old son yesterday. I was knocking Valentine's as a store-bought holiday and he asked why it was so terrible to have a day when people said they love each other. I told him that was what the other 364 days were for and he mumbled agreement. It ended this way:

"Dad, will you be my Valentine?'

"No."

"Good."

Two sarcastic guys bonding. Now that's love.

Adjective Queen said...

"God gets a kick out of you"? Are you kidding me? And the soccer motif -- it's priceless. That's right up there with the "His pain, our gain" and "Got Jesus?" t-shirts.