Friday, April 28, 2006

The Bride Wore Tennis Shoes

Only half over, but today has been pretty good. Earlier this week I saw a man wandering the stacks and I offered my help. He seemed humble, looked like he worked with his hands; carpenter maybe or machinist of some sort. He wanted to know the 'poverty salary'. I assumed he meant 'where is the poverty line' and I was able to interview him and found out he was going to ask his boss for a raise and he planned on showing his boss the stats and asking him if he thought his workers should earn below the poverty line. I said, "You know, that's pretty smart. Management people like numbers. Your request will carry a lot more weight with this chart. " I showed him a chart that not only showed where the poverty line was, but showed how it was derived and also showed different lines for various circumstances (like family size, disability, etc.; Gouldie, you probabaly see this everyday). So today, I see him walk in and you can see he's beaming all the way across the room. He comes up and tells me he just got his raise; his boss was impressed. Ah, that's why I get up in the mornings.

Also saw a wedding today at lunch. Well, a pending wedding. I could see the courthouse from my perch and there was the windswept bride waiting in the foyer. She was actually wearing a bridal gown and veil and everything, but with tennis shoes. You rarely see courthouse brides with all the regalia. I'm not picking on her for the shoes, I mean at least they weren't flip-flops, for God's sake. It may be all she owns. She was awaiting the groom, I guess or maybe the family, I'm not sure. There was a young man there who looked obviously uncomfortable in his Sunday best. You've seen them on Easter Sunday, I'll bet. An ironed pair of jeans and a polo shirt and a belt and shoes borrowed from someone who wears such things to work. I silently telepathed best wishes their way.

Started on the Kidlet Tank for Super Giant Killer. I'm not making it as depicted, I'm using a solid color (Cherry Moon). I only have two skeins of the yarn and I had to search about a thousand magazines, pattern books and websites until I found something that fit all the requirements: free pattern; a top; for girls; correct size; correct yarn weight; and coming in under 430 yds. It's a surprise, but she'll figure it out. I was going to try the 10 Minute Tank, but since it took 20 minutes to read the instructions, I figured it would only lead to aggravation.

1 comment:

Adjective Queen said...

Overcoat loved the bag you made and wondered if there's a pattern for a men's backpack. You could start a new trend, like Kramer wanted to do with the man bra, "The Bro."