Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Those Germans Have a Word For Everything

Well, Super Giant Killer did make it. She controlled herself well enough to qualify for a birthday party. Wheww! I was pretty damn sure I didn't have the guts to carry out that threat. I knew it the minute it came out of my mouth. But she was a good soldier for 10 days. This kid impresses me everyday. She elected to give up candy for lent and she has not succumbed to temptation once. If she's not sure, she asks for a ruling, "Do fruit snacks count?" "What about red and whites (starlight mints) - are they a mint or candy". I just say, "What do you think?" and she says, "Better not then." If some unknowing candybearer offers her something she just says, "Can't. Lent." The other two? Well... The Self proclaimed an 11:30 bedtime regimen for the season. It's been honored once or twice and has been famously broken a few times to the tune of some 5:30 am bedtimes. YHWH has given up saying 'yes'. It's been moderately successful.

One thing about this Lenten season is that it uncovers the weaknesses (I'm sure there are many) of my bad theology and sola scriptura theology in general because SGK asked me what happens if you don't come through on your Lent promise and I realized that I did not know the answer. I was told that you do it to be reminded of Christ's sacrifice, so if you don't come through, then you're making a mockery of Jesus dying on the cross. That's probably a little strong. Failure to comply and the realization of the difficulty of Jesus' choice should be enough, but it seems like the older, more traditional theologies probably have a punishment figured in there somewhere. Any pastors reading this could do a great service to this backslider by providing a ruling here. I have given up candy in support of SGK (though proved unneeded), but where I have really grown is by showing remarkable restraint in not ridiculing The Self for showing an inability to do something hard, that requires giving of oneself, or does not require batteries or an alternating current. YHWH, too. I mean it seems to me you shouldn't offer to give up something which by giving it up you actually benefit, thereby making your life better. It's a sacrifice - not a New Year's Resolution. But no, I have not said a word. OK, but here's the sick thing. I actually feel good that I have 'grown' in this area and shown remarkable restraint and maturity (about time), but then nanoseconds later I feel guilty for feeling good via the failure of others. What a wimp. I really hate religion.

I meant to talk about the birthday party, but I rambled too much. More on that later I guess.

TODAY BY THE NUMBERS
Triumphs via reference mantra: 1
Bugs smashed: 0 (!)
Innings of Indians game listened to: 1
Innings of Dodgers game listened to: 5
Episodes of Sopranos watched: 1
Cups of coffee: 2
Draperies hung: 2
Lawnmowers fixed: 1

No comments: