Friday, March 17, 2006

Chagganooda Choo Choo

Both young'ns continue to astound. We've gone the whole trip without any flareups. I never thought The Killer could go 9 hours in the car without being a brat, but she hasn't caused a bit of trouble. And the Self hasn't succumbed to any urges to wear headphones and be sullen or making typically-teen sarcastic remarks about things. I realized, though, that I must be the problem with The Self and it presents me with a kind of conundrum. There have been a few times where I have felt a strong urge to 'let her have it', but I've backed off and just let little things go for the sake of peace. That definitely works. But, do I do a disservice to let everything go all the time? It's probably a moot point because there's no way I can keep my mouth shut for an extended period.

We had lots of fun today. We spent the night in Chattanooga, Tenn. Or Chagganooda, as SGK calls it. I decided to go down that way instead of down I-40 because a) that is the most horrid drive ever, I-40 down the length of the longest state in the Union and b) the girls could pick up Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi to their states visited totals. And Chatt is the site of one of my favorite CW battles, so I was interested in seeing the lay of the land. Anway we took our time and went up on Lookout Mtn and toured the kitschy-cool Rock City as well as the Battles for Chattanooga animated diorama. Then we headed for Alabama and went to a really hokie National Park site called Russell Cave. SGK picked up her third Jr. Ranger badge and the rangers were uncomfortably nice. Sometimes people are so nice I feel sorry for them and trip over myself to be just as nice. Sick, I know. Then in Scottsboro, AL we struck upon the Unclaimed Baggage Center. It's this bizarre 40,000 sq ft warehouse where all the luggage airlines and trains, etc. lose go to die. It was so cool. I picked up a matching set of ceramic mugs from Peru that some poor couple named Danny and Linda lost. The girls got lots of clothes and SGK got some coloring books from Poland and France. I found myself insanely jealous because I am a big time voyeur (not that way, guttermind!) and I desperately want the job of opening all of those suitcases. In retirement I'm going to work in a photo developing place if digital cameras haven't killed them off. Anyway, we ended up the day in Little Rock. Be home on the morrow. The Killer is going to miss our nightly baggage truck races at the hotels.

Oh! I almost forgot. Myrna ran away at Rock City. We miss her dearly. Probably she'll end up at the Unclaimed Baggage Center.

TODAY BY THE NUMBERS
Cups of coffee: 3
Cinnamon rolls: 2
States visited: 5
States viewed from atop Lookout Mtn: 7
Spent on kitsch: $60 (uh, yeah, I know)
Items SGK could remember during shopping game: 13
Items I could remember: 12

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Myrna, we hardly knew ya! Unclaimed Baggage Center sounds like a way cool place to examine. Did you ask if anyone has ever opened a suitcase and found a human head, or something equally disturbing?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things have gone smoothly. Hope all is working out with the rental. Sorry to hear about Myrna, her life just won't be the same now. Shoeless sure has a disturbing sense of curiosity. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

St. Fiacre said...

Er, no, I didn't ask about a head. I bet they have found a few, though. I figger they have to turn those in. Maybe they have Alistair Cooke's head.