Thursday, March 09, 2006

Under the Bridge

So my friend who talked me into this, let's use the name Shoeless Wonder (spouse of Overcoat), is considering doing the same. You must! It'll be really fun!

Here's a chronological list of my current friends; codename followed by years I've known them:
Drew Barrymore, 30
Genie, 21
Ed Ed, 20
Shoeless Wonder, 16
Overcoat, 15
Janka, 14
Bucky, 13

My God, there is no way I could have known those people that long. I feel like I just met Shoeless and Overcoat last week! Oops, I did say Shoeless was my 3rd oldest friend , but once I ranked them, I realize I should've said 4th. Get used to it - I could reduce the entire world to a series of lists, rankings and ratings.

I've got a weird one for you. This will involve some whining, so bear with me. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago it was birthday and no, my original family did not bestow any gifts on me (even though it was a landmark one) or even offer to have a party. Well, anyway my dad did call about 7:00pm and said he was sorry he couldn't be there for my birthday. I lied that it was OK and listened to him tell a story of his health and then I said, "So you all have a big weekend planned, eh?"Answer: "Oh no, just sitting around, not much to do." Yeah, real sorry you couldn't be there, huh? Well anyway, I had to whine first, but the health thing he told me about was weird. Have you heard about these guys in NY who faked death certificates and who knows what else and sold body parts to reputable parts dealers, who in turn sold them to surgeons to use in patients? Well my dad's third vertebra once belonged to someone famous. Yeah, he got this call from the CDC who told him the whole story and he had to go in for some tests to see if he was clear of any diseases the original owner may have had (he was fine). I'm not sure if I should say whose vertebra he got; I mean it's a little insensitive to the family. What the hell. It was Alistair Cooke. The Masterpiece Theater guy. Go to wikipedia and read about him - and don't forget to read the 'Macabre Addendum' at the end. Scary, folks.

Super Giant Killer scored big on new comics day: Justice League Unlimited, The Batman Strikes and Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yummi. For me: Lost Squad and Team Zero.

TODAY BY THE NUMBERS
Miles walked: 1.5
Grant projects worked on: 2
E-mails from boss: 3
E-mails from Shoeless Wonder: 4
E-Mails from Overcoat: 1
Hairy situations at work: 2
Flare-ups with The Self: 1
Spousal spats: 2
Rows of Om Yoga Mat Bag knitted: 3
Smiles: 0
Songs sung to SGK at bedtime: 2 ('Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots' and 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square')

No comments: